The Friday E-Pistle (May 5, 2017)
A message from Bishop Vásquez
- Rev. Jose Eduardo Jazo Tarin, TOR, as administrator of St. Francis Parish in Waco, effective May 1, 2017.
- Rev. Juan Pablo Barragán Mendoza, TOR, as administrator of Dolores Parish in Austin, effective May 1, 2017.
Day of Prayer for Peace
The Diocese of Austin and Austin Interfaith are sponsoring an Interfaith Day of Prayer for Peace and Healing on Tuesday, May 16. The prayer service begins at 6:30 p.m. at St. Ignatius Martyr Parish in Austin. A reception will follow in the Family Center. This is being held in recognition of the dignity of every human person, including all who live in the margins of the community, and in response to the increased tensions present in the lives of Austin and central Texas residents, and beyond. This interfaith prayer service will gather people of all faith traditions to reflect on our common goal of peace and safety in our communities and to pray for those affected by violence and intolerance. All are invited to attend.
Please remember, in prayer, Deacon Romeo C. Sánchez, 84, who died April 21. His most-recent assignment was at San José Parish in Austin. Services were May 1.
Consider using the following meditation for the Sixth Sunday of Easter (May 21):
- Jesus’ actions and words are in total harmony with his relationship to God, his Father. Jesus asks us to have the same relationship. Through our initiation, we have been united with Jesus who is one with the Father. Saying “Amen” at communion is an acknowledgement that the consecrated host is the Body of Christ, and a commitment to be the Body of Christ for others. St. Augustine said, “Be a member of Christ so that your ‘Amen’ may be true.” Do we love Christ? Do our actions express this love? Do we reveal through our words and action our unity with Christ? How true is our “Amen?"
- Las acciones de Jesús y sus palabras están en total armonía con su relación con Dios, su Padre. Jesús nos pide que tengamos la misma relación. A través de nuestra iniciación hemos estado unidos con Jesús quien es uno con el Padre. Diciendo "Amén" en la comunión reconocemos que la hostia consagrada es el Cuerpo de Cristo, y nos comprometemos a ser el Cuerpo de Cristo para otros. San Agustín dijo, "Sean miembros de Cristo para que su "Amén" sea verdadero" ¿Amamos a Cristo? ¿Expresan este amor nuestras acciones? ¿Revelamos a través de nuestras palabras y acciones nuestra unidad con Cristo? ¿Qué tan verdadero es nuestro "Amén"?
Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center
The Practice of Art Journaling will be held May 22 from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Cedarbrake Catholic Retreat Center in Belton. Art Journaling is the use of simple art material, written journaling, contemplative gazing and receptive noticing to help respond to prayer and expression. Sister Marianne Hieb, RSM, D. Min, will lead this retreat. She is a member of Lourdes Wellness Spirituality Retreat Team. The cost is $40 and includes lunch. To register call (254) 780-2436 or visit www.cedarbrake.org.
Stewardship and Development Office
The diocese will offer beginner and advanced PDS training sessions on a quarterly basis at the diocesan Pastoral Center in Austin. The next training date is May 23 and the focus will be on the Formation Office module. There will be a morning session from 9 a.m. to noon that will cover end-of-year processing. The afternoon session from 1 to 4 p.m. will cover advanced reporting in Formation Office. Participants can attend these sessions one at a time or take both in one day. The next training dates are Sept. 12 and Jan. 9. Click here to register for the sessions. For questions, contact Lisa Rosenberger at (512) 949-2450.
Pope Francis' prayer intention
Please consider Pope Francis' prayer intention for the month of May:
- That Christians in Africa, in imitation of the Merciful Jesus, may give prophetic witness to reconciliation, justice, and peace.
- Por los Cristianos en África, para que den un testimonio profético de reconciliación, de justicia y paz, imitando a Jesús misericordioso.
Bishop Vásquez’ prayer request
Please consider Bishop Vásquez’ prayer request for the Sixth Sunday of Easter (May 21):
- For our parish community, that our actions and words may reveal that we are one in the Body of Christ, we pray…
- Por nuestra comunidad parroquial, para que nuestras acciones y palabras revelen que somos uno en el Cuerpo de Cristo, oremos...
Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
Click here to login to your EIM account in order to find the EIM Workshop schedule and to Sign Up for a Workshop (bottom right of your account page). Please contact your parish or Catholic school EIM site administrator if you need assistance or if you do not have Internet access. For general information about EIM workshops, including instructions on how to login to your EIM account, click here.
EIM Workshops are scheduled by the EIM Office in coordination with the EIM site administrator at parishes, schools and other diocesan agencies; other staff members should work with their EIM site administrator regarding workshop requests. EIM site administrators may direct inquiries about EIM workshop scheduling to Emily Hurlimann in the EIM Office at (512) 949-2447.