"The dignity of human life must never be taken away, even in the case of someone who has done great evil. Modern society has the means of protecting itself, without definitively denying criminals the chance to reform.” (Evangelium Vitae)
For more information and resources, please go to:
- USCCB on the Death Penalty
- Catholic Mobilizing Network
- Texas Catholic Mercy Project
- Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
Books, brochures and other resources are available for free and at cost from the Office of Pro-Life Activities. Contact Luisa de Poo at (512) 949-2487.
Prayer for those on Death Row in Texas
We invite all to pray for those who are schedule to be executed, especially in Texas. You can invite those in your parish to pray as well. Here is an example bulletin announcement:
[Name], [age], is scheduled to be executed on [date], for the [*crime committed]. We invite all to pray for the convicted, the victims of this violent crime and their families. We pray that they may all find mercy, healing, forgiveness and peace.
Information on pending executions in Texas can be found here, including a picture of the convicted.
- For Whom Do the Bells Toll is a great way to educate others in your parish on the death penalty.
- The Rosary for Mercy is a beautiful way to pray for those who are scheduled to be executed.
*Naming the crime committed helps us to remember the victim and the victim's family, however it is recommended that you not publish the name of the victim(s) out of respect for the victim's family.