Catholic Relief Services
Catholic Relief Services
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) was founded in 1943 by the Catholic Bishops of the U. S. to assist the poor and disadvantaged outside the country. Working under the auspices of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, CRS is administered by a board of bishops and lay people, and is staffed by men and women committed to the Catholic Church's apostolate of helping those in need. It maintains strict standards of efficiency and accountability.
The fundamental motivating force in all activities of CRS is the Gospel of Jesus Christ as it pertains to the alleviation of human suffering, the development of people and the fostering of charity and justice in the world. The policies and programs of the agency reflect and express the teaching of the Catholic Church. At the same time, Catholic Relief Services assists persons on the basis of need, not creed, race or nationality. Catholic Relief Services gives active witness to the mandate of Jesus Christ to respond to human needs in the following ways:
- By responding to victims of natural and man-made disasters
- By providing assistance to the poor to alleviate their immediate needs
- By supporting self-help programs which involve people and communities in their own development
- By helping those it serves to restore and preserve their dignity and to realize their potential
- By collaborating with religious and nonsectarian persons and groups of goodwill in programs and projects which contribute to a more equitable society
- By helping to educate the people of the US to fulfill their moral responsibilities in alleviating human suffering, removing its causes and promoting social justice.
Religious educators and teachers
CRS Education: Going Global with Youth is a gateway to lesson plans, simulation activities, prayer services, stories, web links and opportunities that looks at global issues through the lens of Catholic Social Teaching. Use this resource to invite young people to see the world with new eyes and to challenge them to respond to our faith call to global solidarity
Fair Trade / Buying Fair Trade products
The fair choice is the right choice. The daily decisions you make as a consumer can make a real, positive difference in the world. When you choose to buy fair trade products you are making a strong connection with hardworking, but impoverished workers around the world. Our CRS Fair Trade network guarantees fair wages to disadvantaged artisans, farmers and workers.
For college campus involvement
Info for college students, faculty, staff and campus ministers to connect their campus to the rest of the world.